Browse Exhibits (1 total)
Douglass Firsts: Emma Andrews and Evelyn Sermons
Douglass College was founded in 1918 and was originally known as the New Jersey College for Women (NJC). Although NJC admitted a handful of black students beginning in 1934, the college's residence halls were segregated. Black women had to live off-campus and commute to school until Emma Andrews and Evelyn Sermons desegregated the dorms in 1946. This exhibit highlights the key players in the desegregation of NJC’s residence halls, black women's campus experiences, and the impact of this pivotal moment in NJC’s history.
NAACP in New Brunswick: Saving Silas Parmore
This exhibit sheds light on the forgotten history of the New Brunswick branch of the NAACP in the 1920s. The...